Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

7 Reasons why YOU Should go Camping. Yes, you.

Listen, camping isn't for everyone, I get it (actually I don't, but I understand that some people don't like to camp - actually I don't understand that either... but that's neither here nor there). You may be asking yourself, why go camping? Why take yourself away from every luxury and convenience there is to go tromp around in a forest for extended periods of time? I don't feel the call of the wild, I don't know what to do with myself when I find myself alone with a tree, and I sure as heck don't know how to camp (we'll get to the this in a later post). Here are 7 reasons why you should go camping. 

1) WAIFOASWTM (We are in front of a screen way. too. much.)
Let's be real. We're in the 21st century and it's safe to assume that most people "do the whole internet thing." Whether we're browsing sites like Facebook or finding out which Amy Poehler character we are on BuzzFeed, we are on the internet. Don't even get me started on BuzzFeed. Sometimes I want nothing more in life than to kick back with a Shiner Bock and take BuzzFeed quizzes for 5 hours and 24 minutes with nothing in between except a poop break. In all seriousness though, it can be very liberating to get away from your phone or laptop for extended periods of time and simply enjoy life around you. Last year my phone was stolen. It was one of the best things that happened to me that semester (I don't lead a boring life, I swear). I didn't get another phone until a month down the road. I wasn't "on call" at every moment. On top of this, I wasn't worried that someone didn't text me back or that I was going to miss an opportunity to turn that perfect flower on the ground into a beautiful piece of art on my Instagram account (#nofilter). Don't be afraid to step away from technology for a few days, it can be liberating. 

2) YWATCM (You will appreciate the city more)
Ever heard of city fever? It's kind of like cabin fever except its a city instead of a cabin. No really, it's a thing. Before I came to the big apple (I feel like it should be a kiwi...I like kiwi better) all the way from Denver, one of my dad's friend warned me that I would go crazy if I didn't plan to leave the city every 6 months. He was totally wrong, plan to leave at least every 4 months. Having lived here for a little over 2 years now, I can attest to this. Camping is a great way to escape the looming towers of the city and experience life outside. And when you return, you will be reinvigorated and once again, have a positive outlook on living in the city. 

3) YGTMAGDC (You get to make a dagum campfire)
Campfires are a huge perk of camping. Where else do we get to quench our primordial thirst to stack up a truckload of firewood and light the thing on fire? The smell is great and you get to make some great food and snacks... like s'mores and steak, they go well together...like salmon and popcorn. There really isn't anything in the camping experience quite like staring into the flames and hearing the crackle and snap of the burning sap. 

4) YCPWYDWP (You can pee wherever you darn well please)
Typically it's socially frowned upon in society to take a squeege in any ol' place you feel like. But in nature, you can do whatever you want! It's pretty fantastic, especially if you're drinking beer, which everyone should do when heading out on a camping expedition. By the way, I think there's a Seinfeld episode about unlawful peeing...yeah Jerry gets arrested, it's really funny. 

5) YGTE (You get to explore)
When you're camping, the forest seems endless. When I was a kid my dad took the whole family camping many times. There was one particular time when we headed up to a site about 2 hours out of Boulder, CO and once we arrived, I wanted to explore. About 20 minutes later, after hiking a ways, I came to a river. Right there in front of me I saw a bridge that had been built by a family of beavers. Their dam was a little ways downstream. How cool is that? I ended up crossing the bridge which led to a good starting point to hike up the small mountain that we were camping next to. It's calming to go where there are no man-made things and simply think with nothing there to distract you. 

6) SSAS (Sleep, Sunsets, and Sunrises)
Sunrise in Aspen, Colorado
When you're camping, it's perfectly acceptable to go to bed at 9:00pm. After you have filled your day with hiking, fishing, and exploring, and then filled your evening with campfires, great food, and star gazing, you need a good nights sleep. You don't actually feel the New York City pressure to stay out late with friends in a city that never sleeps...that sounds horribly exhausting anyways. On top of the copious amounts of sleep you can get, you also get to experience beautiful sunsets and sunrises. It's a great feeling to wake up before the sun, unzip your sleeping bag to the morning chill and scramble as fast as you can to get your clothes on before your joints literally freeze. Once you've accomplished dressing yourself in record time, you can make a cup of coffee, hike a bit, and watch the sun rise over the trees. 

7) IACWTLTCB (It's a cheap way to leave the city behind)
One of the greatest things about camping is that it's cheap! You don't have to spend money on a hotel and you make your own meals instead of eating out. A big plus is that the initial cost of camping is a one time fee. When you acquire the basic camping gear, it should last a very long period of time. It's also super fun (and can be a bit dangerous) to go to your outdoor supply store, like REI or Dick's Sporting Goods, and browse the latest and greatest in camping gadgetry.  



BONUS: Hiking destination for the New Yorker
Looking out over the Hudson after the ascent!
Breakneck Ridge is a fantastic place of escape for the one day hike. It's a gorgeous area with a few different hiking routes. It's located about an hour and a half upstate and you don't need much to survive. Here is a checklist of the things you'll need!
  • $26.50 for the Metro North ticket that gets you on the train out of Grand Central
  • Backpack
  • 1 full water bottle
  • Lunch and snack (nuts or raisins)
  • Hiking Shoes
  • Wind breaker jacket
  • Hiking buddy
Look for a full review of Breakneck Ridge in my next post!





 

3 comments:

  1. WTGBTC [Way to go bro, toooooo cool!!!!], but the only joy you forgot about camping is SITBSOACWCPCTAT@NMPH!!!, or Sitting In the Back Seat Of A Crazy Woman's Car Perilously Careening Toward A Tree At NINETY Miles Per Hour!!! If Daniel hadn't pulled the emergency brake we might be camping in heaven right now, ;o)
    SO PROUD of you, bro, great article!!!! Glad you still have a love for CO!!!!

    dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I completely forgot about that, Dorothy! Those were great times. Thanks for reading my article!! :) Hope all is well.

      Delete
  2. Hiking sounds like a pretty okay time, man! Speaking of pretty okay things, my blog is just that! http://prettyokaylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete