Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Why is it called "Breakneck" Ridge anyways?


Breakneck Ridge surpassed my expectations. This hike is incredible and the views from the top are amazing. As a Coloradan, I take my outdoors very serious when I'm not being lazy. Breakneck ridge is just an hour and half north of the city in upstate New York - just north of Cold Spring. Hiking up this little ridge proved to be the perfect length for the one day getaway. Along the route, you will occasionally find that the path will split off into two separate paths - one being the easier route contrasted by the advanced route. It's a perfect trail for the beginner or the seasoned hiker. Here are a few tips to guide you along the expedition to Breakneck Ridge:


  1. How to get there: Head to Grand Central station and buy a single, round trip ticket from Grand Central to Cold Spring. If you're feeling ambitious and think you can make the earlier departure time (7:30am) then by all means young buck, buy the ticket directly to Breakneck Ridge and skip out on the wonderfully quaint, little town of Cold Spring. There are more departure times when leaving from Grand Central to Cold Spring than taking the train directly to Breakneck Ridge for those of us that like to sleep in a bit. The ticket will cost you $26.50 round trip on the weekend ("off-peak"). If you go any time during the week it is considered an "on-peak" time and will cost you $35.00. 
  2. Once you get off the train: Head North until you hit Main Street and hang a right. Stay on the left side of Main Street and continue on past Fair Street (you will come back to Fair Street in order to get to Breakneck Ridge). For now, go past Fair Street and look for the Silver Spoon Restaurant & Bar on the left. I didn't get the owners name, but my girlfriend and I stopped in for a cup of coffee before the hike and the owner came out to greet us. He sat down and began the story of how he worked as a busboy in the restaurant when he was younger and how just 10 years ago, he bought the restaurant and has been running it ever since. After you enjoy some good conversation and coffee at the bar (or 3 pancakes, 2 over-easy eggs, 4 pieces of bacon and 2 sausages), head back toward Fair Street and hang a right (so you're heading North). Continue along the highway toward Breakneck Ridge. If at any time you feel as if you might get hit by an oncoming vehicle it's probably because it's very possible. Stay on what little shoulder there is and be careful. You're headed in the right direction. After about 20 minutes, you will walk through a short tunnel, the trailhead will be on your left. 
  3. What to bring: If you love freezing, cold weather and hiking in soggy, wet shoes, make sure to choose a very rainy day. Check the weather! Here is a checklist of things you may want to bring:
    • Beer/Whisky. Alcohol. I realize that alcohol dehydrates you, but I have a tradition of cracking one open and having a "victory drink" once I reach the top of a mountain. It creates a nice incentive to reach the top. Obviously I could drink it without reaching the top but I always feel self-conscious and crappy drinking half way up a mountain.
    • Cell phone: Bring this to take plenty of photos with and to make any emergency calls if you happen to fall off a cliff or something. 
    • Backpack: Bring a rucksack to put all of your food and a few extra layers of clothing in. Pack light though. Last time I hiked, I forgot to take three jackets out of my backpack. You wouldn't think three jackets would weigh that much but by the 7th step, I was just about beat. 
    • Food: Bring a lunch and a few snacks to keep you energized throughout the day. I prefer gold fish or white cheddar popcorn or Doritos or Cheetos or peanuts. I like apples too. 
    • Clothing/Shoes Don't forget to get dressed before you leave for the hike. Bring good hiking shoes and wear pants. Bring a light wind breaker in case it's rainy or windy. I also packed a sweatshirt to put on underneath everything. It's always colder the higher you get.
    • Hiking buddy: Bring a hiking buddy. While I do encourage the solo camping/hiking expedition every once and a while, my personal preference is to hike with someone. I took my girlfriend, Joy, to Breakneck Ridge for her birthday. She totally killed it. At the end of the hike, I tried to balance on a boulder, not knowing that it was loose, and then fell off. Needless to say, hiking buddies are there to keep you in line/make fun of you when you do something stupid; and in any case where a real emergency occurs, they've got your back. 
    • Gadgets: Obviously you can bring cool gadgets if that's your thing. I like different kinds of camping gear just as much as the next guy but I tend to pack as light as I can. I don't like heavy packs. Sometimes I'm successful at packing, I swear. 
    • Map: If you're like me (from Colorado and directionally challenged), there are two directs: towards the mountains and away from the mountains. Bring a map. 
    • Water: Oh right, water. Don't forget this.
  4. After the hike: I recommend walking around the small town of Cold Spring and grabbing some ice cream or a bite to eat with your hiking buddy. Joy and I found our way to an ice cream parlor off of Main Street at the end of Depot Square. They had some darn-good, chocolate ice cream. Cold Spring also has a few boutique shops and restaurants that you can check out as well. After you've had your fill of Cold Spring, head back to the train station for your chosen departure time (the last train back to Grand Central leaves around 7:20pm). 
Also, it's called "Breakneck Ridge" because the ridge straddles the boundary between Dutchess and Putnam counties. How lame is that?




11 comments:

  1. Love the hike at Breakneck Ridge. I recommend it as well! Glad you're writing about this Stephen, the great outdoors is something all New Yorkers should experience. I think challenging yourself physically in any wilderness setting also helps in developing the manliness and strong character that I discuss some in my blog (manvaluesmusic.blogspot.com). Hope to do a post on the outdoors soon, I'll be sure to link your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the outdoors too! I discuss Fitness on my blog!

      Delete
    2. Jake! Thanks so much for you feedback, I'm glad you liked it. I will check out your blog too!

      Delete
  2. I always wanted to go for a good hike, but I didn't know it was so easy to travel to a nice hiking trail. Thanks for the fun and informative post, Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful! Thanks, Fabian.

      Delete
  3. This is so informative! I've never been hiking in New York, but after reading this article I will definitely have to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful! My goal is to make it seem like hiking and camping is more accessible to New Yorkers - So that it mentally doesn't seem so unreachable.

      Delete
  4. Kinda made me laugh that the first item on the "what to bring" list for a hiking blog was alcohol. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that was purposeful, #priorities. Thanks, Jordan.

      Delete